Thursday, February 2, 2012

from my soapbox to yours

Treat those the way you want to be treated is something that I have been trying to follow for a few years.
In my 40 years, I didn't exactly follow this rule but with age comes wisdom.  It is amazing how just a smile can make someone's day a little brighter.  A little better. The light at the end of the tunnel.  Or just listening to what troubles them instead of criticizing.  They'll figure it out themselves.  They usually do when they hear themselves talk about their troubles.
I've had to distance myself from many people who have entered into my life.  I do a pretty bang up job putting myself down so I don't feel the need to include you in my life.
I've heard it all.  From homeschooling to eliminating animal products to health,  EVERYONE has an opinion.  Always when it's not called for and usually to put you down to lift themselves up.
I'm not perfect but I recognize my faults and own up to it.
Can you?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made this last week and it was so good.  The recipe is pulled from the Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by  Robin Robertson.  It says it serves 4 but it was filling and wholesome that if you live in a family of 4, don't be surprised if there is still so much more left.  Freeze it or save it for lunch.

Veggie Jambalaya

use a large slow cooker 4-6 quart is good.

2 tbsps olive oil
1 large chopped yellow onion
1 medium seeded and chopped green bell pepper
1 chopped celery rib
2 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups slow cooked dark red kidney beans or 1 15.5 oz can, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups slow cooked black-eyed peas or 1 15.5 can, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 can drained diced tomatoes
1 cup water
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
salt and black pepper
8 ozs vegetarian sausage links cut into 1 inch pieces
tabasco sauce

heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic
cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
transfer to the slow cooker.
add the beans, tomatoes, water, thyme and old bay seasoning.
season with salt and pepper
cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
just before serving, reuse the large skillet and heat the remaining oil over medium heat
add the sausage link pieces and cook until browned, then add to the jambalaya along with tabasco sauce to taste.

Enjoy!

LOL I just realized I posted this recipe some time ago.  I think I need to try new things......

No comments:

Popular Posts