Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Maple baked beans

I love buying dry beans. Picking over the beans reminds me of my mom and grandmother in the kitchen preparing meals after breakfast. Canned beans are always good to have when you forget to soak the beans overnight or for a quick meal when you've been so busy with kids, work, house, illness, etc. I soaked the beans yesterday afternoon and slow cooked the beans with garlic and onions overnight.

From Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

You need a slow cooker at least 4 quarts.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium size yellow onion chopped
3 cups of slow cooked or 2 15.5 oz cans of navy beans or great northern beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (please do not substitute. I know it's expensive but you'll thank me later)
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup tomato paste mixed w/1 1/4 cup hot water

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion and cover until softened, about 5 minutes.
transfer the onion to the slow cooker. Add the beans and everything else and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Enjoy with rice and a large side of vegetables.


No comments:

Popular Posts