Thursday, February 9, 2012

Frugal Living--Living on the Cheap

Since we are in semi-quarantine because of my sick teen, I was able to sit down and watch the 4pm news.  Usually, at that time, we are at the Y for the kid's acting or dance class or somewhere in Hollywood for an audition or filming.  
A family in Davis, California vow not to spend money during the month of February. The mom talked about going to Costco buying lots of rice, butter, and frozen meats and only spending money on milk.
She opened her refrigerator and there were about a dozen sticks of butter.  Who does she think she is?  Paula Deen?  
Here's the thing.  
There was no mention of fruits and vegetables.  
None.
Sure you can definitely have a nutritious meal with rice and beans; spaghetti and pasta sauce and, if you must, a serving of animal flesh but nothing gives you a happy ending like a juicy orange or a nice serving size of steamed broccoli, or some raw carrots dipped in tahini or hummus.  
Here at home, I make weekly trips to the store and buy enough fruits and vegetables to last us a week.  
For our family of four I buy 10 lbs a rice and that can last us a good 2 months.  10 lbs of dry pinto beans lasts us even longer because just 2 cups turns into 6 cups of beans!  That's a lot of tootin'!  And more than enough protein to fill the daily requirements.  
Unless those kids are getting their fruits and veggies in school or the mom didn't mention buying them, those kids are going to miss out on some very important nutritional needs.
I will just keep doing what I'm doing.  
We don't go to the movies often unless we scored free tickets for previewing and rating movies or we take a mile walk to our local library and pick up movies (I picked up Spy Kids 4,Veggie Tales Bob Lends a Helping Hand, Harry Potter 7.1 and 7.2).  About every 2 months or so I go to the warehouse store across the street from us and buy a huge box of popcorn.  
I stick to a list at the grocery store.  Unless, of course, there is a really good sale.  Ralphs had guacamole for 50% off and I had a coupon for 50 cents off and because Ralphs doubles their coupons under 75 cents.  I paid less than 40 cents for guacamole.  Word.
We do spend money on gas because the hubs has to go to work.  The girls and I walk to just about every where here in town or take the bus to the big city when we have to.  
Once in a while we do eat out.  I confess.  On those really tiring days I don't feel like going home to cook because I didn't know what time I would be home or just know I do not have enough energy to pull a meal out of the freezer and defrost and heat up.  We do take advantage of kids eat free deals or I always have coupons to some local restaurants around town, in case we are out.  
I don't go to the nail salon or do my hair every week or so because, frankly, I do not find it relaxing inhaling fumes.  I try to do a spa day with the girls when we are home on the weekends.  Non-toxic fun nail polish and mami pampering is how we roll.    
We haven't had cable in 5 years.  Sometimes I miss it when I hear that Dexter and Weeds are airing a new season but I just wait a year and watch the whole season at home for an entire weekend. No big whoop.  
I remember when the hubs favorite radio personality was no longer on the traditional radio station and moving to a subscription radio station.  I stood firm and said no.  Too much money the whole family couldn't enjoy.  Not like Disneyland.  So not like Disneyland.  After a few months of not listening to his favorite radio personality I felt a surge of guilt for denying something he loved.  I asked him if he wanted to get the satellite radio installed he can go ahead and do it. His reply?  Honey, I don't even miss him because I found someone new to listen to on the radio.
Hallelujah!
Living frugally is not very hard if you plan it.  I don't feel it is a big deal.  I guess if you haven't done it and see it on paper, it looks nearly impossible but you will be surprised that cutting corners isn't a big deal.

No recipes today.  I'm defrosting a past meal. 
:-)

No comments:

Popular Posts