Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent and the loveliness of cheese

Every year I give one more thing for Lent.  One year I didn't open my chocolate drawer.  Another year I turned my nose up when offered candy.  This year is cheese.  For those who don't know me, I love cheese.  Cheese on everything from pasta to rice to toasty bread.  Yes I shouldn't eat the stuff since it makes my stomach ill but if you ever had pesto or a chile relleno you know that it is hard to turn away from that addicting ingredient.  I've had to stop myself and not make pesto yesterday.  On our weekly outing to Pasadena I told the chef to hold the cheese on my spinach enchilada.  It was still good but not as good as with cheese but I know I cut lots of calories and fat from my dish.
Because of my thyroid disease I have to work a little harder than the average person to release of 1/2 pound off the scale.
It should be interesting how I feel after Lent.  Spiritually, physically and mentally.

Now on to a recipe.

I found this recipe on a bag of quinoa.  Quinoa is one of the most nutritious grains out there.  1/4 cup of quinoa dry (it triples in size) is 7 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber.

Quinoa Taboule

2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup chopped Parsley (you know that green stuff on your plate when you are in a fancy restaurant.  it is, in fact, edible)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint (mine from my kitchen window :-) )
1 minced garlic clove
1 tbsp. fresh basil (also from my kitchen)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (I always have a bottle of the stuff to safe me time)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 white pepper
diced tomatoes as many as your heart desires

toss together all the ingredients.
chill for about an hour.
EAT!

No comments:

Popular Posts