Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cream of Wheat Berries with Cranberries and Cardamom





I had every intention to put this together last night to have for breakfast this morning but I was so tired and crashed on the sofa until the partly sunny sky came through my window.
So, this morning, I decided to have breakfast for dinner.  It was so good the wheat berries was so yummy with the cranberries and maple syrup. You can add a splash of milk if you want, add brown sugar!

I used the smaller slow cooker (4 qt).  It serves 4 or even more if you like having a big breakfast with pancakes, toast, etc.

1/2 cup wheat berries
1/4 cup cracked wheat *I had to use bulgar because I could not find the cracked wheat*
1/2 cup rolled old-fashioned oats
4 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cardamom *you can use cinnamon or allspice if you like*
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries

in a 3 1/2 - 4 qt slow cooker, combine the wheat berries, cracked wheat, oats and water.
stir in the salt and cardamom.
cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours *after 5 1/2 hours it was ready so you might want to have a timer installed or keep an eye on it*
stir in the cranberries just before serving.

From the Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

Enjoy!


No comments:

Popular Posts