Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Socks and Sandals wha Wha wha??!?!

Yesterday on Twitter, the topics Puertorican Problems and Dominican Problems was trending in Los Angeles.
For those who do not know, I am half Dominican and half Puertorican.  Which makes me a Dominiqueña.  Which also means I was able to connect with so many Dominicanas and Boricuas in Los Angeles.  I also had the misfortune to come across some racist creeps.  They could not bring me down.  There are SO MANY OF US. Everything from:
no more platanos in the house #DominicanProblem
to
out of sazon #PuertoricanProblem
and everything from chancletas to using Fabuloso.
Two Boricuas from the East Coast live nearby which is also so very amazing.
I enjoyed reading all the Twitter messages and laughed so hard that my homeschooler peered over gigantic history book saying, "glad someone´s having fun".  WHOOPS!
Two Boricuas from the East Coast live nearby which is also so very amazing.
I might even venture out the next time there is a Puertorican Festival in SoCal.


The other day I made this so delicious Vegan Sancocho.
Westcoasters, you can find everything you need in your local Cuban Market.  When I lived in Culver City, I used to go to El Camaguey on Venice Boulevard. Here in Glendale, I found El Mambi.  Very nice people all around.

1 lb. seitan cut in 2 inch rectangles (think short ribs)
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 quarts vegetable stock
1/2 cup recaito
1 cup tomato sauce
1 lb each of calabaza, yautia, ñame, and yuca, peeled and diced in 1 inch cubes (you can find this in the store already peeled in the freezer aisle in the Cuban store. Saves ALOT of time since peeling is a bit of work since the root vegetables are not smooth like a potato)
2 medium green platanos, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
3 ears of corn cut into 1 inch pieces (or however small you can find them)
1 packet of sazon
adobo for taste
1 quart of water

in a HUGE soup pot, combine the first 6 ingredients, including ALL of the root vegetables
cover and bring to a boil.
reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer, for 30 minutes.
add the remaining ingredients and bring to another boil.
lower the heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
adjust the seasonings.

My house was warm and smelled so yummy when all was said and done.
Yummy with garlic bread.

No comments:

Popular Posts