Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pad Thai

Re-posting.
I blogged about this delicious meal.  I made it a few days ago and I think it was much better the second time around.  I tried to cut down on the spiciness for my tween and it was still aroi.  That is Thai for delicious.


6 oz rice stick noodles
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup mirin
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsps lime juice
1 tbsp sriracha or other chili sauce
2 tbsps refined coconut oil
14 to 16 ozs extra-firm tofu, cubed
1/2 red onion cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 cloves garlic minced (if you find yourself cooking w/ lots of garlic, go ahead and cheat! buy that jar of minced garlic. It will save you time)
3 scallions, halved lengthwise and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 cups bean sprouts
1 carrot, shredded
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, mint, or a combination
1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
4 to 8 lime wedges ( I did not use lime wedges. I felt that it was just to make the dish pretty. At then end I have no regrets)


cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the agave, mirin, ketchup, tamari or soy sauce, lime juice, and sriracha, set aside.
heat the coconut oil in a 12 to 14 inch wok or skillet over high. add the tofu and stir-fry for 4 minutes. add the red onion and stir-fry for 30 seconds. add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. add the noodles and agave nectar mixture and stir-fry until the noodles are softened and evenly coated w/ sauce. add the scallions, bean sprouts, and carrots and stir-fry until all the ingredients are well combined and heated through.
serve and garnish w. cilantro or mint, peanuts and lime wedges.


I did use a pot instead of a wok or skillet because 
1. I do not have a wok and 
2. the skillet wasn't big enough.
I do have a wok now but mostly to stir-fry veggies.  Still used the big pot.


This recipe is from the Skinny Bitch in the Kitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. I love this cookbook. The recipes are easy enough and quick enough for this busy bitch.

No comments:

Popular Posts