Wednesday, December 16, 2009

getting very busy..........

I try not to sweat the small stuff but sometimes there is nothing else but to do that. Moving is such a lengthy and difficult process. Trashing stuff you don't want to take w/ you. Finding stuff you forgot you had. Two days in a row I was just too tired to cook much. Monday I had a bag of whole wheat ravioli stuffed with soy cheese and spinach. I did make the red sauce from scratch.

2 tbsps refined coconut oil
1 onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
8 - 10 cloves garlic, minced
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/4 cup fruity red wine (optional) I didn't use this.
2 tbsps finely chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp salt
1/8 tsp hot sauce like tabasco (optional) I didn't use this either.
1 tbsp agave nectar (optional) I DID use this.

heat the coconut oil in a 4 - 6 quart stockpot over medium-low heat. add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 - 8 minutes (adjust the heat, if necessary, to avoid browning). add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. remove from the heat and stir in the wine, if using, along with the basil oregano, salt, and hot sauce (if using). taste, and if the sauce is too acidic, stir in the agave. use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.

The sauce was very good. I only used a bit for our dinner and bagged and froze the rest. I did divide the sauce and put in separate bags since it is alot. Very good on those days when you have no time but to boil water. You can defrost on the stove top while cooking your pasta. Great when you have only 15 minutes of patience left for the day. You can also add any veggies you like to make it more wholesome and stretch the sauce.

Last night was even more tiring.
I made quesadillas with spinach. It was good and perfect since I had no more patience and was super tired.
Yes.
Once again I was so tired that when I got out of the shower and snuggled into my robe I forgot to turn off the shower. Thank God one of the kids just walked in to say good night to turn off the water and the lights.

No comments:

Popular Posts