Tuesday, December 8, 2009

toot toot

Have been so busy packing and throwing things away. We are finally moving to a bigger place but I still found time to cook a full meal. I am going to start posting recipes and hopefully I don't get into trouble. BTW, persistance works! My picky eater now likes brown rice. Yay mom!!!!!
Last night I made this yummy chili. I did make a small portion w/o the spices because my picky eater cannot handle it.
Cha Cha Chile (serves 6-8) good to freeze some or leftover lunch or weekends

2 cups dry red kidney beans (I used black beans more fiber) you can use canned beans but I buy dry beans because it is much cheaper buying a 5lb bag and storing it in an air tight container.
1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
2 onions, cut into 1/4 in. dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 tbsp fine sea slt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch cayenne pepper
1 (14 oz can) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup medium-grain brown rice
1 red, green or yellow bell pepper cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 carrot shredded
chopped red onion
shredded vegan cheddar cheese (I omitted this because I didn't have any block cheese and it was still yummilicious)
vegan sour cream (also omitted because I just didn't have any and again no reason. it doesn't make the meal)

In a 4 or 6 quart stockpot, combine the beans and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
drain the beans, return them to the stockpot and cover w/ water by 1 inch. place the pot over high heat, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
meanwhile, in an 8-10 inch skillet over medium, heat the oil. add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. add the garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper, oregano, sage, cumin, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. add the onion mixture to the beans, alon with the tomatoes and rice. cook for 30 minutes.
add the bell pepper and cook for 15 minutes. add the carrot and cook about 5 minutes until the beans and rice are tender.
serve w/ red onions, shredded cheese and sour cream, if desired.

You can make some corn bread to go w/ this. My father used to make chili and pour it in a pan and in a mixing bowl he mixed together boxed cornbread and pour it on top of the chili. It was enough to cover the chili a bit and baked in the oven until it was golden brown.

The recipe was taken from the cookbook Skinny Bitch in the Kitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin.

No comments:

Popular Posts