Monday, November 21, 2011

It's WAS beginning to look like Christmas....

by mid-October.
Most of the stores decked the halls with boughs of holly and Santas and blinking lights.
Time for us to spend our hard earn dollars but how many of us are actually participating in this fiasco called Black Friday?  I did many years ago while living in Culver City.  Let's say I was bullied to go with the in-laws.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to bond with my husband's kin.  We went to the now defunct Mervyn's and the experience wasn't all that exciting.  There was no bonding involved.  A lot of pushing and shoving and grabbing.  Not my idea of fun or bonding.
I am like every other girl out there.  I love a bargain.  Sales are awesome.  Shopping is good therapy.  But the fact is there is no fun when other people's kids are running around screaming.  Why are you doing this to your children?  Taking them out of their warm beds for a few dollars off?  I left mine with their father.  They didn't even know I was gone because it was so early in the morning.
There is no enjoyment going into a crowded store to find that special gift.  Gift giving should be fun.  When a someone's birthday is coming and we shop for that special gift, I like to think about what that person would enjoy.  Look at my options and carefully chose what I think would be best for them.  It's something that I enjoy doing because I know when they unwrap that gift and I see that look of happiness in their face I picked the right one.  I just don't go and pick up what's on sale or what has the deepest discount.  My gifts are from the heart and I am mindful of what I give.  Christmas is no different.  I spend sometimes an hour trying to figure out if that someone would enjoy their gift.  Not how much I can save or get back.
It WAS beginning to look like Christmas but it just stinks of greed.

No comments:

Popular Posts