Monday, March 7, 2011

unplugged for 24 hours

So I read on the Huffington Post about taking a tech break for 24 hours.
Often accused of spending too much time online, I decided to take this challenge.
Saturdays we usually just stay home and watch movies or go to the local library or museum for a fun activity.
Saturday was the end of a week long celebration honoring Dr. Seuss so the kids did that while I sat there with a book.
I did not take out my smart phone.
I read and helped.
That was an excruciating hour.
The rest of the day was good.
As the day progressed, I hung out with my girls watching movies and reading.
Not bad at all for 24 hours.
On Sunday, I sat down and downloaded my email and hung out on Facebook for a bit.
Then the weirdest thing happened.
On the way to Kairos I realized that I left my smart phone on my bed.
I didn't panic.  I just shrugged my shoulders and said oh well.

What did I learn during my 24 hours of no Internet?
           1. the Internet does not rule my day
           2. a lot of my time is not wasted on the Internet.  I do not Facebook/Twitter stalk people.  I just feel                                        connected with my family and long-time friends and that is not a bad thing.
           3.  being disconnected to the things outside of my walls (worldly and local news) made me reflect on  what's important to me and my family (sorry Charlie Sheen and Qaddafi).

Will I do this again?
ABSOLUTELY
I might even go beyond 24 hours on a weekend.

Sauteed Yellow Plantains with Parmesan Cheese

4 tbsps olive oil
3 very ripe plantains peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

heat the oil in a skillet.
saute the plantains slices over medium heat until golden brown.
drain on paper towels and sprinkle the cheese on top.

YUM

No comments:

Popular Posts