Thursday, August 12, 2010

Veggie Jambalaya

Yesterday I stopped at Staples to pickup a few things I wanted to organize the coupons, the finances/receipts. So many back to school things. Glittery pencil cases to backpacks with the infamous Jonas Brothers took over half of the store. I did not pick any of it up because I wanted to be on target. I picked up what I needed and walk out. I am so proud of myself!
It was relaxing to come home after all our errands to they yummy smells of the jambalaya I had in the crockpot. It was like coming home and thinking I had my own personal chef cooking up a storm while I was out and about with my children.

2 tbsps olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 celery rib, minced
1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup water
2 tsps creole seasonings
salt and black pepper
8 oz vegetarian sausage links, cut into 1 inc pieces
tabasco sauce

heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
transfer to a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
add the beans, tomatoes, water, creole seasonings. salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
just before serving time, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil into the skillet over medium heat.
add the sausage link pieces and cook until browned, then add to the jambalaya along with tabasco sauce to taste.

About the beans...
on Sunday I slow cook whatever beans I use for the week in the crockpot. I have 2 so it makes it real easy on me and my wallet since it is cheaper to buy them dry than canned. Besides, who wants the extra salt in their diets?
I also did not use tabasco sauce since I am not a fan and it really didn't need it.

No comments:

Popular Posts