Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Spicy Black Bean Chili

This is the coldest summer since living here in the valley. We have been waking up in the 50s and 60s. I think we have dipped in the pool a handful of times (besides the kids' swimming lessons). In fact, I still have the 2 bottle of sunscreen I bought in June. Usually I have gone through them by July. One is still unopen. We haven't visited our favorite beaches. School days will be here again before we know it. Husband will be back to school. We are winding down with all our activities in the libraries. I am still cooking with my crockpot through the rest of this season and autumn.



This is another recipe pulled from the Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker...

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsps chili powder
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 cups slow-cooked or 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup water
1 4oz can diced green chiles, drained
salt and freshly ground black pepper

heat the oil in a large skilled over medium heat.
add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cover and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes.
stir in the chili powder and cook about 30 seconds longer.
transfer the mixture to a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
add the tomatoes, beans, water and chiles, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
or if you are like me, on high for 3-4 hours because I took my sweet time getting it together.

No comments:

Popular Posts