Tuesday, September 18, 2012

REPOST! Sofrito and Quick Bean Stew

September 15 is the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month.  I will be doing my part here at home to cook more meals from my parent's home countries.  It is very difficult for me to do here in California since so many ingredients I grew up here are not readily available to me.  Also so many of the dishes I grew up eating had meat as the main dish.  I will be doing a whole vegetarian spin on all of the dishes.  Many I came to terms with not eating again.  Of course, everything with fish and all the meats available.
Yesterday instead of buying the sofrito at the Cuban store, I went and bought the necessary ingredients for recaito.  It took some figuring out what I could and couldn't use.  I couldn't use Italian frying or cubanelle pepper but instead used a poblano pepper.  Instead of using sweet chili peppers (ajitos) I went for red, yellow and green bell peppers. I could not find recao leaves so I used a bunch of cilantro. 
If anyone has the readily available to them, please send me your seeds.  I would really appreciate it.

Basic Recaito
1/2 medium yellow onion
1 Italian frying pepper or Cubanelle pepper
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3 sweet chili peppers or bell peppers or mini bell peppers
3 recao leaves or 3 cilantro sprigs
1 sprig cilantro
1 tbsp olive oil

cut and remove seeds from all peppers.
combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor.  

Refrigerate or freeze in 1/4 cup batches.  Good for stews and beans.

Vegetarian Bean Stew
(habichuelas guisadas vegetariana)

1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup Recaito
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups water or vegetable stock (I like to use the stock to give it more of a nutritional value)
1/4 lb calabaza (West Indian pumpkin or whatever you can find) Peeled and diced.
1 cup alcaparrado (a mix of olives and capers but it does boost its flavor but if it's not your thing it's OK to omit)
2  cans of beans (black, pinto, kidney) drained and rinsed
1 tsp black pepper 

heat the oil in a pot.
add the recaito and tomato sauce and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
add the stock and calabaza.
bring to a boil and the alcaparrado, beans and black pepper.
bring to a boil again.
reduce and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes

You can enjoy this with rice, quinoa, or alone with some crusty bread and vegetables.


No comments:

Popular Posts