Monday, November 15, 2010

so I found this app...

...from PCRM's 21-day vegan kickstart program.  There is a list of recipes and suggestions for every meal everyday for 21 days.  Very interesting recipes into day 1.  I am going to try to follow it.  I so need to get away from all dairy.  Cheese is my weakness.  Also I am trying to lose a few inches. ;-/
I hope the kids will eat it.

Hoppin' John Salad
Makes about 10
1/2 cup serving size

2 cups cooked black-eyes peas or 1 15oz can black-eyed peas drained (I couldn't find the canned version so dinner will be after sunset around 7ish )
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 tomato diced
2 tbsps finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed

combine black-eyed peas, rice, green onions, celery, tomato, and parsley in a mixing bowl.
in a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, oil, salt, and garlic and pour over the salad.  toss gently.
chill 1-2 hours, if time permits.

Kwick Kale
makes 4 servings
1/2 cup water
1 bunch kale
2 tsps seasoned rice vinegar

wash kale, remove stems and chop leaves into 1/2 inch strips.
heat water in large skillet with a lid.
when boiling, add kale.
cover and cook over medium heat until greens are bright green and tender, about 5 minutes
sprinkly with vinegar and stir to heat.
serve warm

Also on a side note a lot of the ingredients, so far, I already have on hand.  I went to the store and bought only what I needed for dinner and spent under $5.  Good to always have on hand: brown rice, garlic, lemon juice and celery.  I already had seasoned rice vinegar which seems to last forever because you use only a tiny bit everytime.
Sorry about the typos.  Kids are waiting for AWANA study time.

www.21daykickstart.org

No comments:

Popular Posts