Wednesday, April 14, 2010

introducing my new BFF....slow cooker

Dusted off my 6qt slow cooker a few weeks ago and have been cooking faithfully Monday-Friday using recipes from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. I forgot how much I love that darn thing and loving even more how functional it is and it works for ME. I made so many leftovers and have been packing it in freezer bags that I have no more space in the freezer which means I will catch a break and not cook for next week and maybe the week after.

I cooked black bean soup, Moroccan-style lentil and chickpea soup, sweet and spicy lentil stew, farm-stand chili with chickpeas, spicy black bean chili, three-bean chili with chive-flecked cornmeal dumplings, chipotle-kissed red bean and sweet potato chili, spicy white bean and sweet potato stew with collards, maple baked beans, Greek big beans, what a Dal, sloppy lentils, and pintos picadillo.

All I really needed to do was saute a few onions, garlic and bell peppers then dump into the slow cooker with the other key ingredients. I then either baked bread for the chilis or brown rice for the beans.

There is planning to be done. I continued with my weekly planning and shopping trips. After I put everything away I washed and chopped or minced the veggies. Soaked dry beans overnight and cooked the night before.
Why did I do this? Time has to be set aside to cook wholesome meals. If you are busy with school/work you really don't want to end up going through the drive-thru or coming home and opening the fridge/pantry/freezer trying to find something to feed your family.

I ain't going to lie when I tell you that the kids are picky but I make them try the meals. They do end up liking some and not liking all. They either eat it or make a sandwich. My youngest is very picky and has texture issues and if it's either too tastey or too bland. Nothing makes her happy but she does like some of the beans which is a huge plus. Veggies are eaten raw or cooked. Whatever. Most days what I cook is good enough.

Having a vegan ice cream sandwich is a great incentive.

No comments:

Popular Posts