Monday, April 30, 2012

Quinoa...the other grain

This was my second time cooking quinoa.  It is a staple in South American from the time of the ancient Incas.  Quinoa has more protein than any most other grains.  You can use it in soups, salads, as a breakfast cereal or prepare it and eat it like you would eat rice!
I prepared this yesterday before taking Celina on set.  It cooks quickly enough that I could have prepared it after the shoot but I knew I would be too tired.

You can add chicken or another protein before adding the vegetables.

1 cup quinoa prepared with vegetable stock ahead of time
2 cups vegetable broth
4 tbsps olive oil
1 small onion sliced thinly
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced
20 leaves fresh sweet basil, julienned
grated vegan parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

heat large nonstick skillet over high heat and add the oil.
add onions, bell peppers, saute for one or two minute.
add garlic and saute until peppers for 2 minutes.
season with salt and pepper.
remove the pan from heat.
add basil and quinoa.
toss until basil wilts.
garnish with parmesan cheese.

serves 4
enjoy!

If you like my blog let me know!  I love to hear from anybody who takes time out of their busy day to read it.  Let me know if you try any recipes.  Take a picture!  Do you know of any new vegan/vegetarian cookbooks?  Let me know!

No comments:

Popular Posts