Monday, July 19, 2010

I think I was from India in another life

I love the smells of India. The spices and curry sauces makes me smile.
This morning I decided to try a recipe from The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley.
Tonight we are going to have breakfast for dinner....

Spiced Basmati Rice Breakfast Cereal
serves 4
1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
3 1/2 cups water or soymilk (I used water)
1 1/2 sticks cinammon
2 green cardamom pods
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup currants or raisins (raisins because we always have raisins at home)
2 cups milk, heavy cream, rice milk, or soymilk (I will be using soymilk)
3 tbsps coconut, flaked and toasted
1/2 cup walnuts or almonds coursely chopped and toasted (I am using 1/2 and 1/2)
honey, for drizzling (optional) NOT using

Place the rice and water in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low about 8 hours (or overnight if you want this first thing in the morning).
In the morning or after 8 hours grind the cinnamon, cardamom pods, and nutmeg to a powder in an electric coffee mill or a mortar and pestle or whatever you use to grind stuff.
add the currants or raisins and spices to the rice and stir in 15 minutes before serving.
divide the rice among 4 cereal bowls and pour 1/2 cup milk on top of each serving.
Sprinkle each bowl with the toasted coconut and nuts. drizzle if you like with honey.

She also suggests a cup of hot spiced chai to complete this dish.

Yes, Please!

No comments:

Popular Posts