Friday, April 12, 2013

Cleaning and Saving Money

Lately I've been cutting back and trying to use more natural products.  Just when something we regularly use is almost done I scour the internet to read the latest on do it yourself and homemade remedies.  
Last month I made deodorant for my tween by filling up the empty deodorant stick container.  After spending about 30 minutes looking through all the ways you can do it, I used this:

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
4 tablespoons cornstarch
essential oils 
Essential oils is optional but to please my teen I used her favorite scent, rose.

Mix baking soda, cornstarch, and arrowroot powder in a bowl.
Add coconut oil and use a fork or pastry cutter to blend into the dry ingredients.
Add 5-10 drops of your chosen essential oil (I used tea tree oil).

It was enough to fill up her deodorant container and lots left over.  The rest I let it rest on wax paper inside a glass container (like the kind you use to pour your pudding).  
My husband tried it and liked it very much.

Today I ran out of Ajax so I used this:

1 tbsp baking soda  
1 tbsp borax
1 tbsp kosher salt  

Mix it up and shake it onto the counter.  

If you want something with a scent a really great idea is to boil some water and throw in some citrus peels.  I great idea I like to do is when the kids peel their citrus fruits I put it in a ziplock bag and throw in the freezer until I am ready to use.  Also another idea is to put some grow some herbs and other plants on your windowsill.  I had a tomato plant in the kitchen and just watering it made my kitchen smell so fresh.

If you liked this blog entry share it on Google+, Facebook or Twitter or any of the other options.  
You can also subscribe to this blog.
Pass it on!


No comments:

Popular Posts