Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away

We are on our third day of pouring rain, heavy winds, and flood warnings. We even had a tornado watch! To be honest, I am so tired of all of this yuckiness coming down.

This week I have been cooking using recipes from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I received this a Christmas gift a few years ago. It is has some pretty simple recipes and nutritious and satisfying even for adults.

Last night I made some mashed potatoes and vegan steaks with mushroom gravy. I was a happy little girl.

1lb baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cauliflower puree
2 tbsps butter
1/2 cup buttermilk

put the potatoes and salt in a large pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes by about 3 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes (or steam them for about 30 minutes) Drain well in a colander. Mash with a potato masher (I can't seem to find mine so I put in 2 potatoes at a time in a food processor). Add the cauliflower puree, margarine and buttermilk, and beat with a large spoon until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
If you don't have alot of time peeling and cubing potatoes, I don't see anything wrong with use the tub of mashed potatoes that rehydrate w/ water. As long as you look through the ingredients and the only thing in there is mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Popular Posts